Playwright Alan Bennett has slammed England, saying Englanders excel at hypocrisy. He is has a point.
In politics, certainly the progressives are dripping with hypocrisy. The House of Commons is packed to the rafters with them. Here are the five greatest hypocrisies of the Left:
- Progressives say they are in favour of children’s rights, yet they penalise marriage in the tax system. Marriage is the single best institution that protects children’s rights yet the progressives remain hostile to it.
- Progressives say they are in favour of the rights of women and girls, yet they opposed the Bruce amendment that would have criminalised aborting baby girls because they are girls.
- Progressives maintain that they are in favour of social mobility, yet they oppose rigorous education and grammar schools, which would improve social mobility for the poorest and brightest children.
- Progressives believe in liberty, yet they refuse to give a referendum to the electorate to decide whether Britain should remain in the EU. This is because they believe the electorate are too stupid to be trusted.
- Finally, progressives are big on ‘diversity’. They are always moaning about the Establishment being too middle-class, male and white. But they are only interested in diversity of people not ideas.