In response to Kathy Gyngell: Kate Hoey, woman of honour, lays bare the shameful Irish Brexit stitch-up; CheshireRed wrote:
These points have been made repeatedly on social media but Downing Street is unable/unwilling to join the dots themselves.
1. All 4 parties – NI, UK, RoI and EU, have each confirmed 100% there is NO chance of anyone imposing, building or running a ‘hard’ border.
2. Therefore there will never be a ‘hard’ border.
3. Therefore the only border will be ‘soft’.
4. Therefore the only customs controls will relate to a ‘soft’ border.
5. Therefore there’s ZERO need for a legal instrument – the Backstop, that legislates against an event – a ‘hard’ border, that isn’t going to happen.
6. Therefore the motivations for the Backstop are nothing to do with avoiding a ‘hard’ border that isn’t going to happen and everything to do with politics.
7. By a magical coincidence the desired ‘solution’ to the non-existent Irish border ‘problem’ just happens to keep the UK permanently locked inside the EU’s customs union, thus annulling THE absolute crown jewel prize of Brexit.
8. Imagine my surprise!